People across the United States sustain injuries every day as a result of negligent product manufacturers. When victims are left with life-altering illnesses as a result of such negligence, they may have legal options available to help them move forward. Whether you have been injured by a defective product or a dangerous drug, a mass tort lawsuit may be the best legal option available for you to pursue.
Mass tort claims can help you get justice for your suffering and help you recover the compensation you need to alleviate medical expenses and various other financial burdens you face moving forward.
Our mass tort lawyers at Rebein Brothers are committed to helping victims recover after being harmed by defective products and equipment. Contact our law firm at your earliest convenience to schedule a free case review with our team to discuss the legal options available for you.
Overview of Mass Torts in the United States
A tort is legally defined as a wrongful act that causes harm to another person directly. Conversely, a mass tort is a wrongful act that directly causes harm to several people. When multiple victims sustain illnesses, injuries, and various other damages due to the use of a product, they may be able to pursue legal actions against the negligent parties. These legal actions can help victims recover compensation to help cover the financial burdens they face moving forward. Mass tort claims often involve a faulty medication, medical device, or another malfunctioning product.
Mass tort lawsuits contain multiple claimants that all file civil cases against one defendant. These legal claims involve multiple people who suffer similar damages due to the use of a product. Although each claimant may have suffered a different degree of damages, they have all been wrongfully harmed by the product that is the center of the lawsuit.
Differences between Mass Tort Claims and Class Action Lawsuits
It is extremely common to hear about people banding together to file class-action lawsuits following the development of an injury or illness following the use of a product. In some cases, we hear the terms mass tort and class action used interchangeably. Although both types of lawsuits involve several people filing legal actions against the same negligent party, there are key differences that set the two claim types apart.
Class Action Lawsuits: Class action lawsuits are legal claims that are involving multiple claimants who take part in a large lawsuit that is designed to prove that the defendant engaged in reckless actions that caused them harm. Class action suits are filed to represent a group of people collectively rather than individual claims for each party.
Mass Tort Claims: Mass tort claims involve members of a group filing their own individual claims for damages. Although these people suffer similar injuries, the extent of damages they face is unique. These claims typically result in larger settlements and verdicts.
Current Mass Tort Claims in the United States
There are various mass tort lawsuits that are ongoing right now in the United States. These include those surrounding:
- Talcum powder Lawsuits– Talcum powder was shown to increase the risk of women developing ovarian cancer by around 33% when compared to women who did not use the product.
- Belviq Lawsuits– The weight-loss drug Belviq was determined to escalate the risk of users developing a variety of types of cancer.
- Zantac Lawsuits– Even though Zantac is a medication used by millions of Americans who suffer from serious heartburn conditions, studies have found that the product is contaminated by N-Nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA). This prompted a recall from the FDA after a link between the use of Zantac and liver disease, liver cancer, and testicular cancer was made.
- Elmiron Lawsuits- Elmiron has been used since 1996 to treat interstitial cystitis (IC). In 2015, researchers discovered a connection between the use of the medication and users developing maculopathy, an eye disease that occurs in the central part of the retina.
- 3M Earplugs Lawsuits- 3M Earplugs were found to be faulty after so many years of use. This leads to countless service members who used the products between 2003 and 2015 experiencing the complete or partial loss of their hearing.
- JUUL Lawsuits– JUUL was originally marketed to consumers as a safe alternative to smoking cigarettes. However, studies have found that JUUL contains highly addictive nicotine.
- Sunscreen Lawsuits– Recent studies have found that some popular sunscreen brands include the ingredient benzene. This toxic chemical is classified as a carcinogen to humans, which increases the potential risks of developing skin cancer as a result of exposure.
If you have been affected by these products, it is crucial that you reach out to our mass tort lawyers at Rebein Brothers right away. Our team can meet with you at your earliest convenience to discuss your case and the legal options which may be available to you.
Recoverable Damages from Mass Tort Claims
If you have been affected by JUUL, Elmiron, or another product subject to a mass tort claim, you may be entitled to compensation to help move forward. Each mass tort claim is individually evaluated. As a result, the amount of money for damages you can recover can differ greatly from recoveries made by others. The specific losses that you experience will determine how much you are able to recover as an award for your legal claim. Some of the most common damages that injured parties recover from mass tort claims include compensation for:
- Medical expenses victims face due to treating resulting illnesses or injuries
- Lost wages due to taking time off work to recover from illnesses or injuries
- Lost earnings for victims forced out of work permanently due to the consequences they face from the use of the product
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
We Will Fight to Get You the Justice You Deserve
Our mass tort attorneys at Rebein Brothers are committed to helping each client we work with get the justice they deserve. Our team has extensive experience with handling some of the most complex claims surrounding mass torts across the nation. We strive to help our clients hold wrongdoers accountable and get the justice they deserve.
Contact our personal injury lawyers by calling (813) 305-7285 at your earliest convenience. Our team is available to meet with you to discuss your case and the legal options available to help you recover.