Tampa Rideshare Accident Lawyer
Tampa Rideshare Accident Lawyer
Major rideshare companies Uber and Lyft provide convenient transportation for both residents and visitors to Tampa. Unfortunately, there are times when accidents occur that involve rideshare vehicles.
If you or somebody you care about has been injured and needs assistance from a Tampa rideshare accident lawyer, turn to Paul Rebein for help. We will conduct a complete investigation into your case in an effort to secure maximum compensation for your claim.
Common Causes of Tampa Rideshare Accidents
At their very nature, rideshare services like Lyft are transportation services. Just like other forms of public transportation (taxis, buses, metro lines), Lyft and Uber vehicles can get into accidents. There are various causes of rideshare accidents in and around the Tampa area. Typically, vehicle accidents are caused by the negligence of one or more drivers, including a driver:
- Operating while distracted by a phone or another device
- Operating while impaired by alcohol or drugs
- Failing to follow the rules of the roadway, including yielding the right away
- Operating their vehicle too fast for conditions
However, if you have been in a rideshare vehicle, then you know that Lyft drivers have more distractions than most other drivers on the roadway. Uber and Lyft drivers rely on information provided to them through their phones, including information from Uber or Lyft about their fares as well as directions to and from their destinations. This could lead to an increase in distracted driving crashes.
Most Common Tampa Rideshare Accident Injuries
Rideshare services like Lyft and Uber are often touted as ways to improve traffic safety, particularly as a way to remove potential drunk drivers from the roadway. However, various studies have suggested that rideshare services have actually increased accident rates in the country. A study conducted by professors from Rice University and the University of Chicago also indicated that after a rideshare company shows up in US cities, accidents involving a fatality increased by 2- to 4% each year.
These incidents can lead to severe injuries. Tampa rideshare accident attorneys at Rebein Law understand that these crashes can cause the following:
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Severe contusions or lacerations
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Other neck and back injuries, including whiplash
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
Unfortunately, crashes involving rideshare vehicles can also lead to fatalities for various parties involved. In these cases, family victims may be able to file a wrongful death claim to recover compensation for their losses.
Who is Liable After a Tampa Rideshare Accident?
Liability after a rideshare accident will be determined much like liability for all other vehicle accidents in Tampa. It may be the case that the Uber or Lyft driver or another driver is solely responsible for the accident, or there could be a shared fault between multiple parties. What makes Tampa rideshare accidents more complicated is the way that rideshare insurance works.
- If a rideshare driver is not signed into the “app” to work when they cause an accident, then the typical Florida “no-fault” insurance laws apply. rideshare insurance will have nothing to do with an incident in this situation.
- If an Uber or Lyft driver is signed into the “app” to work when they cause a crash but does not have a passenger, then the driver’s personal insurance carrier is still the primary coverage provider. Lyft’s insurance will provide limited liability coverage if the driver’s personal carrier denies a claim or if the limits of the coverage have been reached.
- If an Uber or Lyft driver has a passenger or is on the way to pick one up when a crash occurs, then their $1 million liability coverage is supposed to kick in to cover everyone involved in the incident.
What Kind of Compensation is Available in These Cases?
If you or somebody you love has been injured in an accident involving a rideshare vehicle in Tampa, there may be various types of compensation available for your case. Our attorneys at Rebein Law will conduct a full investigation into the incident in an effort to secure the following on your behalf:
- Full compensation for any medical bills related to the crash
- Coverage for any necessary physical therapy or rehabilitation
- General household out-of-pocket expenses
- Lost income if you cannot work while you recover
- Pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against a grossly negligent party
Without fully investigating the incident, there is no way to predict the total amount of compensation that will be available for each particular situation. This will depend on various factors, including the severity of the injuries, whether or not a victim is able to work, whether there was any shared fault for the incident and more.
What is the Deadline to File a Tampa Rideshare Accident Lawsuit?
It is important that anybody involved in a Tampa rideshare accident reports the incident to their insurance carrier as soon as possible to avoid any unnecessary delays or coverage denials. Insurance carriers have fairly stringent reporting deadlines in these situations.
However, if it is necessary to file a personal injury lawsuit against an alleged negligent party, the Florida personal injury statute of limitations is four years from the date the injury occurs. This gives rideshare accident victims in Tampa a four-year window with which to file their claim, or they will lose the ability to recover any compensation for their losses.
Contact a Tampa Rideshare Accident Attorney Today
If you or somebody you care about has been injured in an accident involving an Uber or Lyft rideshare vehicle, contact an attorney as soon as possible.
Paul Rebein will conduct a complete investigation into your case in an effort to ensure that you receive all compensation that you are entitled to.
Our team is not afraid to take on Lyft, Uber, or any insurance carrier involved in your case. Let our Tampa rideshare accident lawyers offer a fair and objective consultation to you and your family today.
Let’s Get You On Your Way Forward
Our team of Personal Injury Lawyers is ready to help you.