Common causes of Tampa Uber accidents
Uber accidents in Tampa do occur. When we consider the sheer number of rideshare vehicles on the road and understand the fact that vehicle accidents are not uncommon, it is inevitable that accidents involving Uber vehicles will occur.
The causes of most accidents involving Uber vehicles are going to look similar to the causes of most vehicle crashes in Tampa. In most cases, one or more drivers are to blame for a crash. Thus, some of the common causes of Uber accidents include an error made by an Uber driver or another driver on the roadway, including a driver:
- Failing to follow traffic laws such as failing to yield or turning in properly
- Speeding or operating their vehicle too fast for conditions
- Operating while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Operating while distracted by phones or other devices
However, the very nature of Uber and other rideshare vehicles tends to lead to distracted driving. Uber drivers rely on information sent to them through their phones, and they regularly check GPS devices to ensure they are getting the correct destination. This increase in distracted driving could also lead to an increase in the chance an accident will occur.
Most common Tampa Uber accident injuries
Rideshare company Uber is not immune to serious accidents. In a safety report released by the company in late 2019, Uber released data compiled from internal reports of crashes, user reports, and insurance companies and said that 107 people were killed in crashes involving their vehicles during the latest reporting year of data. However, many others were injured in crashes involving Uber vehicles. Attorney Paul Rebein knows that the following injuries could occur in an accident with an Uber vehicle:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Other neck and back injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Severe contusions
- Internal organ damage or internal bleeding
Who is liable after a Tampa Uber accident?
Liability after a Tampa Uber accident will often depend on which party was at fault for the incident. However, Uber’s insurance can be complicated to understand because it is applied in a tiered process depending on the rideshare driver’s status at the time of the crash.
- If an Uber driver is not signed into the “app” to work, then they are off duty, and their personal insurance carrier is responsible for any damage expenses if that driver causes a crash. Florida’s “no-fault” insurance system applies in this scenario.
- If an Uber driver is signed into the “app” to work but does not have a passenger when they cause a crash, then their personal insurance carrier is still going to be the primary coverage provider. Uber will provide limited coverage in this situation if the personal insurance carrier denies a claim or if the policy limits are reached.
- If an Uber driver is signed in to work and has a passenger, or is on the way to pick up a fare, then Uber’s $1 million liability insurance policy is supposed to kick in to cover anybody involved in an accident with the Uber vehicle.
How much compensation is available for an Uber accident case?
If you or somebody you love has been injured in an accident involving an Uber vehicle, there may be various types of compensation available for your case. Tampa Uber accident attorney Paul Rebein will conduct a full investigation into your claim in order to secure the following:
- Coverage of all medical expenses related to the Uber accident
- Lost income if you cannot work while you recover
- General household out-of-pocket expenses
- Property damage expenses (if applicable)
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Possible punitive damages in cases of gross negligence
The total amount of compensation available in this case will depend on various factors related to each particular situation. This could include the severity of a victim’s injuries, whether or not a victim is disabled, whether a victim shared any fault in the accident, and more.
How long do you have to file a Tampa Uber accident claim?
Anybody involved in a Tampa Uber accident needs to be aware of various timelines when filing an injury claim. First, automotive insurance carriers are going to have fairly stringent deadlines for reporting. Any accident involving an Uber vehicle needs to be reported to your auto insurance carrier as soon as possible.
However, in the event you need to file a personal injury lawsuit, the statute of limitations is four years from the date the injury occurs. This means that victims have a four-year window with which to file a claim against any alleged negligent party.
Contact a Tampa Uber accident attorney
If you or somebody you care about has been injured in an accident involving an Uber vehicle, you should speak to an attorney as soon as possible. These cases can become complicated, but Attorney Paul Rebein will stand by your side and conduct a full investigation into your case. We are not afraid to stand up to aggressive insurance carriers or major corporations like Uber. Contact our Tampa Uber accident lawyer for a free consultation of your case today.